Sunday, September 23, 2012

KEEP THOSE TRADITIONS POPPING!



It is now 39 more sleeps until I turn the BIG 40!  
Due to the fact that tonight the Emmy Awards were on I find it kind of appropriate that the thing I am going to write about today is in reference to a to TV.  Yes I was one of this kids that grew up watching TV BUT I also grew up playing outside until the sun went down.  I remember watching fun TV shows, sporting events, award shows and movies with my family.  Some of my most fondest memories are of me watching TV with my family. I did find it kind of funny that growing up we were not allowed to watch Dukes of Hazard because Daisy Dukes shorts were too short and 3's Company because a guy was living with two girls but I think I got to watch every Soap Opera show possible.  LOL 
Growing up as a kid every Sunday night we would make a BIG HUGE bowl of popcorn.  I loved hearing that air popper going and watching my mom or dad butter the popcorn.  Each child got to pick a special color Tupperware bowl and we filled it to the rim. On Fast Sundays it was a special treat because my mother would make caramel corn and it was OH SOOOO GOOD! After that we all would sit down together as a family and watch a TV show or movie.  Those were good times!  Even today I find  myself on Sunday night popping some popcorn and sitting down to watch a TV show, sporting event, award show and / or movie. Granted with technology today I don't just have to sit in one room to watch TV.  I can now watch it on my iTouch in my room or on my laptop. So while times have changed the memories and traditions have not.  While I don't have my own kids and family to carry on my old family traditions I can still carry them on and share them with others.  So I guess the lesson that I have learned is that one single person can still carry on fun family traditions.  It is not the number of people that carry on the family tradition that make it a tradition but the fact that someone keeps the tradition alive that matters.

1 comments:

Jason & Catherine Beveridge said...

The movies and popcorn at your house were the best!!! I have never been able to make my popcorn taste as good as yours. And no one can compete with your collection of movies. So fun!