I am the oldest of six kids and for as long as I can remember I have never been alone. Even when I moved out and started living on my own I always have had roommate. I remember always having someone around to do something with growing up. There were times when I would wish that I was an only child, had my own room and space or just had my mom or dad all to myself. But looking back I don't think I would have enjoyed that to much. But with that being said one should not be afraid to be alone.
I will never forget the first time I cam to San Francisco. I was in my mid 20's and I had always dreamed of coming to San Francisco. Growing up I loved watching a TV show or movie and seeing the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, the Bay Bridge, Coit Tower and the famous San Francisco skyline. I knew one day I would get to be able to see this amazing city, ride a cable car, visit Alcatraz, and cross the Golden Gate Bridge. Well that dream came true and when it did I was alone. Sure I wish I could have had someone to share that experience with and point out all the things that I wanted to see and was now getting the chance to see. My first trip to San Francisco was a scary one and I had NO IDEA what I was doing or where I was going. I just had a map in my hand and heart full of excitement. After I got back from my trip and told people about what I had seen, where I had been and what I did they were a little shocked that I had done all that by myself. It think they were even more shocked that I was not mugged and made it back safely. I guess some of the places I went alone where not the best places for a person to be. I guess I was just going on blind faith and had angles watching over me. My love for San Francisco did not change after that trip and today I love the city and this area even more. I never get tired of seeing that skyline, crossing those bridges, taking that cable car ride, driving or walking down that crooked street, eating clam chowder out of a bread bowl, taking that boat ride for yet another prison tour, driving up to that tower, walking along that pier, going to that square with all the shopping, visiting that really big park or seeing another ferry building. I am reminded of that first trip I took and how I would never have gotten to experience all that I did if I was afraid to go alone.
While now days I do not like to go to movies or dinner alone there are AMAZING and WONDERFUL plays, concerts, sporting events, parties, events and cities that I have seen and gone to alone. Yes, it would have been fun to have someone to go with but I was not going to miss these wonderful opportunities and turn down some once in a lifetime moments just because I had to go alone.
So I have learned to not be afraid to do something, see something or go somewhere just because I was alone. Plus chance are once you get there you won't be alone!
Tuesday, September 25, 2012
ONE IS NOT A LONELY NUMBER
Posted by Heather at 11:20 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment